Sunday, September 25, 2011

Lynell Burmark Chapter 4

As I mentioned I've now finished the textbook and am trying to get in some reading of ancillary sources as time allows. I've bought Nancy Duarte's Slide:ology from Amazon (used, not much) and started it, it's a very beautifully designed book as well it should be, as a sort of a designer's manifesto. It's aimed more at a business audience than at educators but the principles are widely applicable. I'll post more about it, again if I get time.


On to Burmark, Chapter 4, "CHIMES".


CHIMES stands for Connections, Humor, Images, Music, Emotion, and Story. These are the ways the author identifies to create an engaging and memorable presentation - first to get the audience to look and then to sway their minds and emotions.


My take on this is that if all these aspects can be made to work, your presentation is likely to be a masterpiece. Since few of us are renaissance men or women, the approach I would suggest is to strengthen one's presentation by adding whichever of these "hooks" one has the ability to do. Other people's experience will differ from mine.


Humor strikes me as risky. If you have the gift of comic wit and timing, by all means use it, but a stolid presenter attempting to lighten the mood and falling flat is painful to witness. Use with caution.


Music - again this is going to rely on personal ability, background, education, talent, and taste. And again if one can wield it expertly music could add a lot to a presentation. Being sadly tin-eared myself if I were to include music I think I would have to sub out the job of building the sound track.


Images - One of the best points the author makes in the entire book I think is that images are powerful. They can set the scene, convey emotions, and introduce the audience to new places and experiences. The well-known Chinese aphorism about how many words a picture is worth is not far off. More and better images, less and better-chosen text is good advice I think.


Emotion, Stories, Connections - these three could be seen as closely allied. Bringing the audience into emotional accord is as important as giving them the facts (if not more important). Weaving facts and emotions into a narrative which involves the sympathies of the listeners will greatly improve the presenter's chances of drawing the audience together and then leading them forward into new territory.


Just my opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment